A nephew and his wife have a new baby, and she is perfectly perfect! Her name is “Nora.”
A few weeks ago I started planning a quilt for her to feature this fabric.
Well, “planning” is too strong of a word, because as far as I got in the process was pulling other corals and peaches and yellows from my stash. There was no concept to create a plan around.
And then one day, a fellow Stashbuster linked the pattern for this quilt in a comment.
I like quilts with blocks of multiple sizes, one more reason I like medallions. This one is made in a 4 x 5 layout of 21″ blocks, for a total size of 84″ x 105″. It has five stars of four sizes per big block. It’s easier to see when you look at just one block.
Yes! That is one block! And there are 91 patches in it! Though it is complex, it actually isn’t hard. The hardest part was figuring out the sizes of the units. As mentioned, each big block finishes at 21″. Two blocks across is 42″, perfectly sized for a baby quilt. I gleaned enough from cutting instructions to fill in the rest. Here are my notes:
My original thinking was to use those peaches and yellows, but I decided to broaden the palette some. One of the reasons was this cute fabric with carrots, which I’ve had for years.
That made adding greens easy. Another small quilt in my past added turquoises, so I tried them and they helped brighten the scheme. Besides the plaid above, you might also notice other gridded fabrics in the mix. The lattices tie the theme together even more. Using the speckled fabric in the background, rather than pale yellow, completed the plan.
This was the third of four quilts I completed in August. September has other things going on, so it was nice to finish a few things. (And if I am slow in responding to your comments, have patience! I’ll check in as soon as I can!)