but it’s a lot farther along than it was!
Remember where I started with six star points and no real plan? Then I figured out how to set the points in their background fabric and made more borders.
I played with EQ7 to try some ideas for finishing. (Oh yes, in case you wonder, there were many more versions drawn!)
I started on the third of these, making 40 chain (double 4-patch) blocks and cutting the alternate blocks. The chain blocks didn’t have enough visual weight to balance with the center, so I switched gears.
This is the result so far, after a fair amount of unstitching and restitching.
As often, it is too big to take one decent picture of it on the floor. I simply don’t have enough head room above it to get the camera high enough.
Those are dark brown triangles in the corners. They look just right in real life, though in the photos they don’t thrill me. The triangles, along with the diagonal lines of 4-patches, provide the weight in the corners I was missing before. The diagonal lines there and throughout the chains give movement. And the value changes from light background through dark triangles provide the contrast I like.
The small 6-pointed stars centering the borders repeat the star shape in the quilt center. I wondered if they would look too small and fussy, but overall I’m happy with the effect. They were kind of a pain to make. I might post again about making them.
Right now it is about 70″ square. I’ll add another 1″ border, as well as a wider outer border to finish. I don’t have those fabrics in my stash, so will need to shop for the right thing. There are too many other things to do right now, so that will wait, and the UFO will stay a UFO for a while longer.