Last Monday I began a new quilt. It’s been a while since you’ve heard that from me. I’ve been working on other projects, including a couple of presentations and also some writing. Quilting has taken a backseat.
I decided to start a medallion with a familiar blueprint (size of center block and widths of borders.) The blueprint gives proportions I know work. I don’t need to reinvent the wheel. The challenges, then, are to make the project interesting, make it fun, and learn something. And along the way, I want to make a good quilt.
My time is still a limited resource. One way to reduce the amount of time on any quilt, medallion or not, is to reduce the amount of piecing. Less piecing means less cutting up front, less stitching, and less pressing after stitching. One way to make a quilt interesting with less piecing is to let the fabric do the work. So I chose a stack of fabrics that don’t necessarily go together. There were a couple of batiks and a cute black print and an African fabric in brilliant orange. A wide variety of styles and colors made their way into my pile of possibilities.
I started with this and then changed it two more times before I was happy with the center.
Once I got going on this project, it really flew. I don’t take a lot of pix at intermediate stages, and I didn’t this time, either. So there aren’t more to share. But I do have a picture of the finished top. Its name is “The Mountain” and it is 60″ square.
I won’t work more on this for several days. Some time in November I can share the finished quilt and more process information with you. This I will say: it was both challenging and fun, and I learned a lot about using pattern. AND I LOVE IT!